Enroll NY: Hudson Center for Health Equity & Quality
- Project Title: Expanding Health Insurance Coverage in New York State: Streamlining Facilitated Enrollment and Development of Web-Based Eligibility Assessment
- Priority Area: Expanding Health Care Coverage
- Grant Amount: $114,569
- Date Awarded: November 15, 2007
- Region: Hudson Valley
- Website: http://www.hcheq.org/
- Grant Status: Complete
The Hudson Center for Health Equity & Quality (the Hudson Center) developed EnrollNY.org, a Web-based, self-service insurance tool that uninsured New Yorkers can access online to learn about coverage options, determine their eligibility for public insurance, and begin the application process. The tool streamlines the largely on-paper enrollment process and paves the way for a paperless one. In 2009—the year following the end of the grant—the website had 8,692 unique visitors and an estimated 1,055 new enrollments were made through this system.
Grantee: Hudson Center for Health Equity & Quality
Dates: December 15, 2007 — December 14, 2008
Grant Amount: $114,569
Grantee Website: http://www.hcheq.org
Outcomes and Lessons Learned:
- Detailed what the website should look like in terms of design, content, and functionality. Consulted with FEs and defined the minimum amount of data necessary to follow up with a Web-generated lead, turn it into a full application, and ultimately obtain insurance coverage for a person or family.
- Collaborated with local health plans in Westchester and New York City to explain the project and their role as active participants. Community-based organizations also were engaged as partners who might drive traffic to the website.
- Developed a brochure in English and Spanish publicizing the website and asked organizations to post links to the Enroll NY website on their own websites. In total, Hudson Center staff has engaged 29 FEs to link to Enroll NY.
- Launched the website in December 2008 and expanded it statewide in May 2009.
Read the report associated with this grant, "An Assessment of New York State Health Foundation 2007 Health Insurance Coverage."Download Grant Outcomes Report