Jericho Road Ministries, Inc.
- Project Title: Diabetes Center of Community Excellence
- Priority Area: Diabetes Prevention and Management
- Grant Amount: $460,000
- Date Awarded: November 15, 2007
- Region: Western New York
- Website: http://www.jrm-buffalo.org/
- Grant Status: Complete
Buffalo’s East Side is predominantly African American and poor. While diabetes self-management education is considered an integral component of effective care, skilled educators are not readily available in poor, minority communities. In January 2008, NYSHealth awarded Jericho Road Ministries, Inc., a grant to form the Diabetes Center of Community Excellence to provide culturally appropriate support and motivation for diabetes self-management in minority communities. NYSHealth funded this project through its 2007 Setting the Standard: Advancing Best Practices in Diabetes Management request for proposals.
Grantee: Jericho Road Ministries, Inc.
Dates: January 1, 2008–March 22, 2011
Grant Amount: $460,000
Grant Website: http://www.jrm-buffalo.org/
Outcomes and Lessons Learned:
- Hired and trained two certified diabetes educators (CDEs) who are now the only CDEs known to be practicing in the eight county Western New York Region and are representative of these diverse communities;
- Integrated fully trained CDEs into the primary care medical home care teams (process outcomes relative to American Diabetes Association standards of care were improved);
- Collected preliminary data that suggests that CDEs are valued new members of these community practices;
- Identified critical success factors and developed a recommended timeline for “growing your own CDE” in safety-net medical home settings;
- Documented structural barriers to “growing your own CDE” workforce in community settings and recommended policy changes at the national, State, and local levels to overcome these barriers; and
- Trained individuals as ministers of health (using Diabetes 101, a faith-based curriculum developed for this project) from community churches.
Read the report associated with this grant, "Setting the Standard: A Foundation Initiative to Advance Best Practices in Diabetes Management."Download Grant Outcomes Report