AIDS Community Services of Western New York, Inc.
- Project Title: Four Agency Financial and Data Management Systems Consolidation
- Priority Area: Special Projects Fund
- Grant Amount: $161,184
- Date Awarded: October 12, 2009
- Region: Western New York
- Website: http://www.aidscommunityservices.com
- Grant Status: Complete
Four distinct nonprofit agencies aligned and affiliated under the Evergreen Health Services of Western New York (Evergreen) provide HIV screening and prevention services to thousands of residents in the Buffalo area: AIDS Community Services of WNY, Inc. (ACS); Alianza Latina Inc.; PRIDE Center of WNY, Inc; and the Evergreen Foundation. In 2009, ACS and its service partners were struggling to maintain and improve the quality of their programming in the face of growing consumer demand; a shrinking and/or inadequately skilled labor pool; diminishing resources amid local, State, and national fiscal crises; and increased dispersion of clients in the community. In an effort to help the four agencies achieve efficiencies that would assist in overall quality improvement, outcomes administration, long-term cost savings, and consumer and employee satisfaction, NYSHealth awarded ACS a grant to consolidate the financial management services of the four Evergreen agencies so they could integrate and share one comprehensive financial system.
Grantee: EHS Inc. dba Evergreen Health Services of Western New York (formerly AIDS Community Services of Western New York, Inc)
Dates: October 15, 2009 – October 14, 2010
Grant Amount: $161,184
Grantee Website: http://www.evergreenhs.org
Grant ID: 3300533
Outcomes and Lessons Learned:
- Installed and integrated all financial information and records software to resolve the needs and challenges of finance management; Representatives from each partner agency’s leadership and ACS’ IT and financial departments formed an advisory group to guide the process.
- Successfully integrated all financial information across the four agencies.
- Built a new data software package and electronic case-management system—Evergreen Computerized Healthcare Outcomes (ECHO)—that will be used to produce de-identified data for researchers and the pharmaceutical industry.
- Conducted an analysis exploring potential predictors of disease progression in HIV/AIDS patients in western New York, and identified significant relationships between patient characteristics, treatment patterns, and measures of disease prevention.
- Established successful partnerships with health homes in the region. Evergreen is now a co-lead agency of a western New York health home organization, in partnership with Catholic Health System and Spectrum. Evergreen also serves as a contractor to other health homes in Erie County to provide care coordination services.