May 14, 2019
8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
New York Institute of Technology Auditorium
1871 Broadway (Between 61st & 62nd Streets)
Providing care for our nation’s veterans is the shared responsibility of many institutions throughout the country. Veterans receive care from both the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and community-based providers in the private sector, forming a complex but symbiotic relationship that can foster innovation and high-quality care for our nation’s 20 million veterans.
The current debate on whether veterans should receive care from the VA or the private sector offers a false choice.
Rather, the debate should address questions such as: How can the public and private sectors better collaborate? What can they learn from each other? How do veterans feel about receiving care in both settings?
Please join NYSHealth for a conference on veterans’ health, “Can the VA and Community-Based Care Coexist?” to explore these issues, as well as promising solutions, through the lens of both veterans themselves and the caregivers who are dedicated to providing them with high-quality health care. The keynote speaker will be the Honorable Robert A. McDonald, former VA Secretary.
Please R.S.V.P. by May 3, 2019. The conference is free for attendees, but registration is required.
8:30 a.m.–9:00 a.m.
Registration and Breakfast
9:00 a.m.–9:15 a.m.
David Sandman, Ph.D., President and CEO, NYSHealth
9:15 a.m.–10:15 a.m.
The Honorable Robert A. McDonald., Former U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs
10:15 a.m.–11:15 a.m.
Panel—Straight From the Source: Veterans’ Experiences Using VA and Private Care
Moderator: Derek Coy (former U.S. Marine Sergeant), Veterans’ Health Officer, NYSHealth
- Roger Misso (U.S. Navy veteran), local leader of Veterans Organize CNY and Co-host of 2 Vets Upstate podcast
- Anuradha Bhagwati (former U.S. Marine Captain), founder of the Service Women’s Action Network and author of Unbecoming: A Memoir of Disobedience
- Molly Pearl (post-9/11 veteran caregiver), Student Veteran Advisor, Baruch College
11:15 a.m.–12:15 p.m.
Panel—One Team, One Fight: The Public and Private Providers That Care For Our Returning Veterans
Moderator: Jennifer Steinhauer, Washington correspondent focusing on veteran affairs, The New York Times
- Joe Quinn, Executive Director, The Headstrong Project
- Juan Serrano, Director, Military and Veterans Liaison Services, Northwell Health
- Martina A. Parauda, Director, VA New York Harbor Healthcare System
12:15 p.m.–12:30 p.m.
David Sandman, Ph.D.