Date

December 7, 2018

Time

3:00 PM – 5:00 PM

Location

NYSHealth Conference Room 1385 Broadway, 23rd Floor (corner of 38th Street) New York, NY 10018

Share

RSVP

Only 2% of medical devices go through clinical trials. Guess what happens to the other 98%? They go into our bodies, unchecked.

Join NYSHealth for a film screening of The Bleeding Edge, in which Academy Award-nominated filmmakers Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering turn their sights on the $400 billion medical device industry, examining lax regulations, corporate cover-ups, and profit-driven incentives that put patients at risk daily. The documentary takes a hard look at medical devices and the dangers of innovation when we do not put patients first. Weaving together emotionally powerful stories of people whose lives have been irrevocably changed, the film follows a group of patients fighting to become part of the policy discussion. Featured in the film is Angie Firmalino, whose social media post multiplied into a Facebook group of shared experiences that became a patient-led movement and led her to advocacy at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and in the halls of Congress.

After the screening, there will be a Q&A discussion with two of the activists, Angie Firmalino, President, Advocating Safety in Healthcare E-sisters (ASHES), and Lisa Saenz, Development Coordinator, ASHES, to discuss the journey they have taken and talk about the power of health care consumers’ voices.

Please R.S.V.P by December 3rd. Snacks and drinks will be provided.

Back to Events
caret-down