December 11, 2017
The New York Academy of Medicine
Related LinksWebcast recording of the summit Population Health Summit 2016 Speaker Biographies
The New York State Health Foundation, The New York Academy of Medicine, and the Department of Population Health, NYU Langone Health sponsored the fifth annual Population Health Summit, “Five-Year Retrospective: How Far We Have Come, and What Lies Ahead.”
Nonmedical determinants disproportionately affect population health. The evidence is clear that where people live, eat, work, and play directly affects their health outcomes. In response, the health care and social service sectors have coordinated a wide range of activities to bridge health care and population health activities.
The annual population health summit seeks to deepen and extend the understanding of ongoing efforts in New York State and nationally that demonstrate effective collaboration between health care and other sectors to advance population health.
This year’s summit looked back on the past five years of work in improving population health through and with communities. It also took a look at the way forward in the field, homing in on the current opioid epidemic and approaches to treatment. The summit featured a diverse set of national and New York State and City leaders who reflected on the state of health and population health. Presenters discussed public and private resources allocated for population health activities statewide and the future of funding for these efforts; successes and challenges of multi-sectoral, collaborative population health activities in both clinical and community settings; and the field’s efforts to respond to the opioid epidemic and other emerging public health crises.
The summit also included a poster session, featuring nearly 70 posters from students, academic researchers, health care institutions, and community-based organizations working on projects focused on improving population health.
Download the conference speakers’ presentations:
- Jo Ivey Boufford, M.D., Immediate Past President, The New York Academy of Medicine
- Dave A. Chokshi, M.D., Chief Population Health Officer, OneCity Health and New York City Health + Hospitals
- Paul Beyer, Strategic Coordinator for Community Transformation and Smart Growth, New York State Department of State
- Chinazo Cunningham, M.D., Associate Chief, Division of General Internal Medicine at Montefiore Medical Center
- Herminia Palacio, M.D., Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services, City of New York, Office of the Mayor
- Michael McMahon, District Attorney, Richmond County
See the suggested readings for this year’s conference:
- Definition of Population Health
- NYSHealth data snapshot: Targeting an Epidemic: Opioid Prescribing Patterns by County in New York State
- Public Health Institute report: Tackling An Epidemic: An Assessment of the California Opioid Safety Coalitions Network
- New York Academic of Medicine report: Alignment across Hospital Investments toward Building a Culture of Health in New York State