Developing a Communications Plan to Improve Community Health
- By: NYSHealth
- Date: June 2017
- Priority Area: Building Healthy Communities
- Type: Grant Outcome Reports
- Category: Grant Outcome Report
- Grantee Name: Create a Healthier Niagara Falls Collaborative, Inc.
To tackle some of the underlying problems that have affected the health of communities, NYSHealth launched the Healthy Neighborhoods Fund initiative to help New York State communities become healthier and more active places. Through the Healthy Neighborhoods Fund, NYSHealth is supporting six communities across the State in their efforts to increase access to healthy, affordable food; improve access to safe places where residents can exercise and be active; and connect children and adults to programs that support healthy behaviors. In 2015, NYSHealth awarded Create a Healthier Niagara Falls Collaborative a grant to participate in this initiative. As part of a technical assistance grant to support the Collaborative in its efforts, NYSHealth awarded it a grant in 2016 to work with a communications firm to define its communications priorities and develop a strategic communications plan.
Grantee: Create a Healthier Niagara Falls Collaborative, Inc.
Dates: October 2016–March 2017
Grant Amount: $ 24,000
Grant ID: 16-04602
Outcomes and Lessons Learned:
- Articulated clear internal and external communications goals and measurable objectives that bolster the Collaborative’s overall strategic plan;
Outlined specific communications tactics, including:
- Establishing foundational communications materials.
- Implementing specific internal communications activities.
- Reaching and engaging residents and influencers.
- Training volunteers to support and lead marketing activities.
- Developing and executing a media plan to increase awareness of local services and encourage residents to engage in healthier behaviors;
- Gained insight into the Collaborative’s target audiences and influencers;
- Identified communications challenges, priorities, and best practices to achieve the Collaborative’s goals; and
- Developed an evaluation framework and identified key metrics to track the plan’s progress.
Co-Funding and Additional Funds Leveraged: The Collaborative leveraged NYSHealth’s support for this project to secure a grant from the John R. Oishei Foundation ($50,000) to implement the communications plan.