St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center
- Project Title: Syracuse Mobile Crisis Outreach Project
- Priority Area: Special Projects Fund
- Award Amount: $149,678
- Date Awarded: November 16, 2006
- Region: Central New York
- Website: http://www.sjhsyr.org
- Grant Status: Complete
Syracuse residents with mental illnesses encounter a number of barriers when attempting to access quality mental health care. Too many individuals rely on a single source of acute mental health care— the Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program (CPEP) at St Joseph's Hospital Health Center—despite whether or not they require intensive emergency services. Prior to 2007, CPEP had performed very limited outreach and used existing clinical staff to do so. CPEP’s leadership believed they could increase access to mental health services in the community through use of a mobile crisis team staffed by trained clinicians.
- This grant supported a mobile outreach program providing crisis outreach services and interim crisis services in people’s homes, rather than an emergency facility.
- Initial in-home crisis evaluations of patients who are not immediately a danger to themselves or others.
- Early stage crisis intervention.
- Expedited transfer to the Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program.
- Assistance with identification of and connection to appropriate community providers.
- Monitoring of medication compliance.
- Provision of supportive services, including family support and education.
- The mobile crisis project has been self-sufficient with an average of 46 visits per month, approximately half of which are paid for by Medicaid.
- Project staff had hoped to have a second team up and running by December 2007, but as of mid 2008, have not accomplished that.
- Grantee Website: http://www.sjhsyr.org/
- Grant Amount: $149,678