- Project Title: Needs Assessment of Returning Veterans and their Families
- Priority Area: Veterans' Health
- Grant Amount: $494,900
- Date Awarded: February 2, 2009
- Region: Outside New York State
- Website: http://www.rand.org
- Grant Status: Complete
In 2009, the New York State Health Foundation (NYSHealth) commissioned RAND Corporation to perform New York’s first statewide needs assessment to examine the health, mental health, and social issues of returning veterans. The report was commissioned shortly after the national “Invisible Wounds” study conducted by RAND in 2008. The needs assessment focused directly on veterans living in New York State, including veterans who currently use U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs services, as well as those who do not, and considered needs across a broad range of domains. NYSHealth and its grantees have used this study to inform key stakeholders and policymakers across New York State, and to make recommendations in order to improve the wellbeing of veterans.
RAND hoped to achieve the following goals:
- Gain a deeper understanding of the needs, gaps in services, and resources available to veterans in New York State.
- Prepare recommendations to help close those gaps.
RAND accomplished the following:
- Conducted a quantitative assessment of the needs of veterans and their spouses from a sample that is broadly representative of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) veterans in New York State.
- Collected information and advice from a series of qualitative interviews with veterans of OEF/OIF residing in New York, as well as their family members.
- Conducted a review of the services available in New York State for veterans. This information has been compiled in a format that is designed to serve as a guide for veterans.
- Produced a full set of results and recommendations in the report: A Needs Assessment of New York State Veterans.
- Fine-tuned NYSHealth’s goals and strategy in the area of veterans’ health informed by the results of this study.
- Grantee Website: http://www.rand.org/
- Grantee Amount: $494,900
Read the report associated with this grant, "A Needs Assessment of New York State Veterans."Download Grant Outcomes Report