National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA)
- Project Title: Underwriting Fees for National Diabetes Recognition Programs
- Priority Area: Diabetes Prevention and Management
- Grant Amount: $150,000
- Date Awarded: December 15, 2010
- Region: Outside New York State
- Website: http://www.ncqa.org/
- Grant Status: Complete
To address the diabetes crisis in New York State, the New York State Health Foundation (NYSHealth) invested in a five-year, $35 million Diabetes Campaign with the goal of reversing the epidemic. Under its strategy to improve clinical care and patient outcomes, the Foundation expects to have 3,000 of New York’s primary care physicians providing excellent care to patients with diabetes, as evidenced by achieving certification from national diabetes recognition programs. The National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) is a nationally renowned diabetes recognition program that recognizes physicians who meet the highest standards of diabetes control. In 2010, NYSHealth awarded a grant to NCQA to help underwrite application, data collection tool, and administrative fees for physicians and physician practices interested in attaining diabetes recognition through the Campaign, as these fees can be a major barrier for some to apply.
NCQA hoped to achieve the following goal:
- Underwrite application fees for New York State providers to aid in achieving recognition under the NCQA diabetes recognition program.
NCQA accomplished the following:
- Supported the NCQA recognition of approximately 916 physicians by 2012.
- Offered more direct services for Diabetes Campaign applicants, including a dedicated staff person at NCQA for applicant assistance and a preferred fee rate.
- Increased the Campaign’s exposure at the national level through its promotion on the NCQA website, conferences and other venues.
- Received another grant in 2012 to continue underwriting fees for New York State applicants.
Grantee Website: http://www.ncqa.org
Grant Amount: $150,000