Jericho Road Ministries, Inc.
- Project Title: Diabetes Center of Community Excellence
- Priority Area: Improving Diabetes Prevention
- Award Amount: $460,000
- Date Awarded: November 15, 2007
- Region: Western New York
- Website: http://www.jrm-buffalo.org/
- Grant Status: Complete
Buffalo’s East Side is predominantly African American and poor. While diabetes self-management education is considered an integral component of effective care, skilled educators are not readily available in poor, minority communities. With support from NYSHealth, Jericho Road Ministries, Inc. formed the “Diabetes Center of Community Excellence” to provide culturally appropriate support and motivation for diabetes self-management in minority communities.
Jericho Road Ministries, Inc. hoped to achieve the following goals:
- Embed certified diabetes educator trainees from the minority community to deliver diabetes self-management education.
- Establish a Diabetes Health Ministry Outreach Resource Center.
- Utilize the Chronic Care Model—a highly respected and accepted framework for approaching the improvements sought through this initiative.
Jericho Road Ministries, Inc. accomplished the following:
- Hired and trained two certified diabetes educators (CDEs) who are now the only CDEs known to be practicing in the eight county Western New York Region and are representative of these diverse communities.
- Integrated fully trained CDEs into the Primary Care Medical Home Care Teams; process outcomes relative to American Diabetes Association standards of care were improved.
- Preliminary data suggests that certified diabetes educators (CDEs) are valued new members of these community practices.
- Identified critical success factors and developed a recommended timeline for “growing your own CDE” in safety net Medical Home settings.
- Documented structural barriers to “growing your own CDE” workforce in community settings and recommended policy changes at the national, state, and local levels to overcome these barriers.
- Trained individuals as ministers of health (using “Diabetes 101,” a faith-based curriculum developed for this project) from community churches.
- Grantee Website: http://www.jrm-buffalo.org/
- Grantee Amount: $460,000