AIDS Community Services of Western New York, Inc.
- Project Title: Four Agency Financial and Data Management Systems Consolidation
- Priority Area: Special Projects Fund
- Award Amount: $161,184
- Date Awarded: October 12, 2009
- Region: Western New York
- Website: http://www.aidscommunityservices.com
- Grant Status: Complete
Four distinct nonprofit agencies aligned and affiliated under the Evergreen Health Services of Western New York (Evergreen) provide HIV screening and prevention services to thousands of residents in the Buffalo area: AIDS Community Services of WNY, Inc., (ACS), Alianza Latina Inc., PRIDE Center of WNY, Inc., and the Evergreen Foundation. In 2009, ACS and its service partners were struggling to maintain and improve the quality of their programming in the face of growing consumer demand; a shrinking and/or inadequately skilled labor pool; diminishing resources amid local, State, and national fiscal crises; and increased dispersion of clients in the community. In an effort to help the four agencies achieve efficiencies that would assist in overall quality improvement, outcomes administration, long-term cost savings, and consumer and employee satisfaction, NYSHealth awarded ACS a grant to consolidate the financial management services of the four Evergreen agencies so they could integrate and share one comprehensive financial system.
Grantee: EHS Inc. dba Evergreen Health Services of Western New York (formerly AIDS Community Services of Western New York, Inc)
Grant Title: Four Agency Financial and Data Management Systems Consolidation
Dates: October 15, 2009 – October 14, 2010
Funding: Special Projects Fund - Economic Recovery
Grant Amount: $161,184
ACS set out to accomplish the following goals:
- Expand the technical capacity of ACS’ financial systems to support collaborative fiscal management of the four aligned organizations.
Create and integrate a cross-system data-mining package to effectively pull unduplicated client and service data from at least 12 disparate consumer databases across the four agencies.
ACS achieved the following outcomes:
- Installed and integrated all financial information and records software to resolve the needs and challenges of finance management; Representatives from each partner agency’s leadership and ACS’ IT and financial departments formed an advisory group to guide the process. All financial information across the four agencies is now integrated.
- Built a new data software package and electronic case-management system—Evergreen Computerized Healthcare Outcomes (ECHO)—that will be used to produce de-identified data for researchers and the pharmaceutical industry. The new data-mining tool combines data on 6,000 individuals from multiple sources, including data from 20 years ago. Accessible data features a wide range of categories, including primary health care; syringe exchange programs; health promotion services; HIV testing; mental health counseling and case management; and nutrition and housing services Although much of the data is current and up to date, data submitted by the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) faces a lag time when entered into ECHO’s data-mining system. ECHO and NYSDOH use different data platforms that prevent NYSDOH real-time data submissions.
- Conducted an analysis exploring potential predictors of disease progression in HIV/AIDS patients in western New York, and identified significant relationships between patient characteristics, treatment patterns, and measures of disease prevention.
- Established successful partnerships with health homes in the region. Evergreen is now a co-lead agency of a western New York health home organization, in partnership with Catholic Health System and Spectrum. Evergreen also serves as a contractor to other health homes in Erie County to provide care coordination services. The ability to share data from different systems has been valuable as the agency enters into health home agreements. Data integration capabilities are also an asset as Evergreen begins coordinating with larger systems, including hospitals, health care centers and health data systems.
Grantee website: http://www.evergreenhs.org
Grant ID: 3300533
Download Grant Outcomes Report