Building Healthy Communities | Clinton CountyPDF Version
Grantee Name: Clinton County Health Department
Grant Project Title: Clinton County Healthy Neighborhoods Initiative
Grant Amount: $250,000
Clinton County is one of the most rural counties in New York State—and an outdoor enthusiast’s dream. Home to Adirondack National Park, Lake Champlain, ski areas, campgrounds, and golf courses, the county is visited by thousands of tourists each year. For the county’s low-income residents, however, many of these activities are out of reach for them. Poverty and unreliable transportation are exacerbated by geographic isolation, as residents must travel farther for nearly everything: school, health care, exercise, food, and social activities. Lack of access to healthy food is also a major problem—more than 75% of the population does not consume the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables. Although the area is rich in agriculture, the county’s food prices are also higher compared with downstate.
COMMUNITY FAST FACTS
- 17% of residents in Clinton County live below the poverty line (higher than State average of 15.6%);
- 22% of the population smokes (higher than State average of 14.5%);
- 21% of children are obese;
- Plattsburgh City Beach on Lake Champlain is the largest freshwater beach in the continental United States; and
- Approximately 603 farms are in the county but very few formal farmers markets exist.
- Increase access to healthy and affordable foods through the implementation of a healthy certification program for local food retailers;
- Enhance and activate spaces for physical activity for residents across the age spectrum; and
WHAT WE’VE ACHIEVED TO DATE
Helped 18 local convenience stores to date join the healthy food certification program for retailers.
BUILT ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
Improved the Cadyville Trail, which included the mapping and marking of three other connecting trails and the addition of a new map signboard at the trailhead; and
- Developed a new resident-driven walking path in the Village of Rouses Point, which creates a continuous walking loop around the village’s civic center and connects area residents to Lake Champlain.
- Created a video series, Better Choices, Better Health, to inform residents about healthy food and physical activity options in Clinton County and motivate them to make choices that lead to better health.
- Launched an online directory of healthy lifestyle programs and events calendar.
- United Way of the Adirondack Region;
- Clinton County Public Transit;
- Clinton County Planning Department;
- Cornell Cooperative Extension; and
- University of Vermont Health Network Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital
WHAT WE’RE INVESTING IN
- Improving the Nutritional Quality of Food Pantry Donations in Clinton County
- Overcoming Obstacles to Food Access in Clinton County
- Shape Up Clinton County: Activating Public Spaces and Creating Opportunities for Healthy Living
- Access an online directory for upcoming activities and events.